The Committee on The Integration of Academics and Athletics at Connecticut College seeks to strengthen the relationship between the academic and athletic lives of the College. The committee supports the college’s understanding of intercollegiate athletics as a core part of the Connecticut College educational mission and works to help foster a healthy and thriving balance for our student-athletes.
In the spirit of shared governance, the makeup of the committee is structured to include members from several departments across campus in addition to student-athlete representation. Current committee members include:
- Ned Bishop: Head Coach of Women’s Cross Country and Women’s Track & Field
- Sarah Cardwell: Senior Associate Dean of Student Life
- Stanton Ching: Professor of Chemistry & Faculty Athletics Representative (FAR)
- Zak Danz (‘21): Men’s Tennis
- Josh Edmed: Associate Director of Athletics & Head Coach of Women’s Volleyball (chair)
- Ginny McCool (‘20): Women’s Water Polo
- Emily Morash: Associate Dean of the College / Dean of First-Year Students
- Page Owen: Professor of Botony
- Jim Ward: Head Coach of Men’s Ice Hockey
The committee ...
- Evaluates and makes recommendations on issues concerning the intersection of academics and athletics but does not have any authoritative/decision-making structure.
- Promotes communication between academic and athletic faculty and staff.
- Supports and emphasizes the College’s understanding of intercollegiate athletics as a core part of the Connecticut College educational mission.
- Promotes and supports the Faculty Fellow Program.
- Works to promote discussion regarding the athletics/academic relationship with other NESCAC schools.