Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Men’s Lacrosse Overwhelms New England College, 16-4, in Home Opener

PJ Kelleher

NEW LONDON, Conn. – Senior captain PJ Kelleher (Walpole, Mass.) factored into eight goals, including seven in the first half, in leading the Connecticut College men's lacrosse team to a rousing 16-4 victory over New England College on a bitterly cold Tuesday evening at Silfen Field.

Connecticut College led 13-0 at halftime by scoring five times in the first quarter and adding eight insurance markers in the second. Senior Jordan Foster (Las Vegas, Nev.) broke a scoreless deadlock with a man-up goal with 6:57 on the clock before finishing a pass from Kelleher to double the margin 1:14 later. The Pilgrims were handed back-to-back penalties for using an illegal crosse, and the Camels made them pay for it to continue padding their lead. Foster added his second man-up goal after receiving a feed from Kelleher just 26 seconds into the second quarter and then capped the streak of 13 unanswered to give the hosts a commanding advantage at the break.

The Pilgrims finally got on the board in a man-up situation when Charles Hacking shot the ball into the nylon at the 11:43 mark of the third quarter. However, the Camels responded with two straight goals before the end of the frame to build up a game-high 14-goal advantage before eventually running away with the double-digit win.

In addition to Kelleher, Connecticut College got six points on five goals and an assist from Foster for offensive support. Toby Almeida (Cumberland, R.I.) won 10 of his 13 faceoff attempts, and junior Colin Smith (Mount Kisko, N.Y.) did not allow a goal in the first quarter while making six saves in the cage.

New England College (1-2) got a goal and two assists from Jacob Blanchette. Maxime Danis finished with two caused turnovers and two ground balls, while goalie William Platt did all he could by redirecting 18 shots.

Connecticut College (1-1) will next host Middlebury on Saturday afternoon at 1 p.m.