Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 4 Men’s Soccer Settles for 1-1 Draw With Amherst

Uzii Dieng

NEW LONDON, Conn. – Senior Uzii Dieng (Brooklyn, N.Y.) scored his third goal of the season as the No. 4 Connecticut College men's soccer team stayed undefeated through 11 matches by playing Amherst to a 1-1 double-overtime draw on Tuesday afternoon at Freeman Field.

Despite having to settle for the tie, the Camels remained in first in the league standings and will face second-place Tufts for the right to be in the driver's seat to earn the top seed in the upcoming NESCAC Tournament on Saturday afternoon at Freeman Field. The Jumbos are also ranked fifth in the latest national poll released by the United Soccer Coaches.

Following a scoreless first half, Connecticut College scored first in the 55th minute. Junior Matt Butera (Westfield, Mass.) had the ball at the top of the box and found Dieng through a crowd of Mammoth defenders. The forward then made his own move and rocketed a shot past goalkeeper Bernie White.

Amherst (6-3-1, NESCAC 3-3-1), however, had an answer on a controversial play when German Giammattei fired a shot which was ruled to have inched its way across the goal line by the sideline referee following a corner kick. Camel defender Justin Miranda (Winchester, Mass.) appeared to have possibly cleared the ball at the last moment to record a team save, but the attempt was ruled a goal for the Mammoths.

The teams eventually played two overtime sessions in which neither side was successful with recording a shot on target. Butera had a great look from the top of the box in the first extra frame, but his shot sailed high and over the crossbar. A corner kick opportunity by the Camels in the waning seconds of the second overtime was unsuccessful, and the teams settled for the draw.

Sophomore AJ Marcucci made two saves between the pipes for Connecticut College, while Amherst's White turned away six shots. The Camels had a 13-11 advantage in total shots, and the Mammoths finished the match with a 5-4 edge in corner kick opportunities.

Connecticut College (10-0-1, NESCAC 6-0-1), which surrendered a goal for the first time since Sept. 11 when Endicott scored on a penalty kick, will next host No. 5 Tufts on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. with first place in the NESCAC standings on the line. The program will also recognize its seven-member senior class prior to the contest.