Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

No. 15 Men’s Soccer Crushes Trinity, 8-2, at Home; Yeonas Factors Into Five Goals

Celebration Djerdjaj Yeonas

NEW LONDON, Conn. – Sophomore Steve Yeonas (McLean, Va.) factored into five goals in leading the No. 15 Connecticut College men's soccer team to a dominating 8-2 victory over Trinity on Tuesday afternoon at Freeman Field. Yeonas was credited with three goals and two assists, which included playing a part in all four goals during the second half of the rout.

Junior captain Liam Donelan (Milton, Mass.) opened the scoring in the 18th minute when he finished a corner kick taken by senior Matt Butera (Westfield, Mass.) to set the tone. Shortly afterwards, the hosts scored two straight goals that accidentally caromed off of Trinity defenders in less than eight minutes to establish control. Donelan first found Noonan on the right side to double the lead in the 21st minute before a Yeonas strike found its way into the net at the 28:24 mark. Sophomore Augie Djerdjaj (Mahopac, N.Y.) evaded defenders and fired the ball home after receiving a throw in from senior Anthony Aquadro (Northampton, Mass.) in front of the Camel bench, and the hosts carried a commanding 4-0 advantage into the break.

Trinity (1-4, NESCAC 0-2) did not give up and shockingly slashed the deficit in half with All-American goalie AJ Marcucci (West Chester, Pa.) on the bench. Andrew Shea collected a rebound to put the Bantams on the board in the 51st minute, and Massimo Eichner rocketed a pass from the left side that came from Alistair Matule to make it 4-2 just 7:30 later.

But with Marcucci back between the posts, the Camels responded by netting four unanswered to close out the game with Yeonas involved in every play. The sophomore first found a wide open Manny Balbontin in the 68th minute and then Djerdjaj in the 71st. Freshman Alex Robles (Reston, Va.) then sent a pass to a running Yeonas on the right side for the team's seventh goal, as the sophomore evaded a slide tackle from a Trinity defender and then shot the ball past its goalkeeper who was challenging the play. Yeonas capped off his career day by firing a left-footed shot through traffic to close out the scoring in the 82nd minute.

Marcucci picked up the victory between the posts by making two easy saves and not allowing a goal in nearly 74 minutes of action for Connecticut College, which outshot its opponent by a 25-7 margin. Trinity's Andrew Clark was charged with the loss after only making one save and yielding four goals in the first half.

Connecticut College (5-0, NESCAC 3-0) will face its biggest challenge of the season to date when it visits No. 4 Amherst, which is also undefeated, on Saturday at 2:30 p.m.