No. 18 Men’s Soccer Continues Historic Postseason Run Into NCAA Elite 8 With 1-0 Overtime Triumph Over Swarthmore

Men's Soccer Defeats Swarthmore

SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Sophomore Steve Yeonas (McLean, Va.) scored his sixth goal of the season with 2:07 remaining in overtime to lead the No. 18 Connecticut College men's soccer team to a thrilling 1-0 victory over Swarthmore in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday afternoon at Clothier Field.

The golden goal in the 98th minute came off of a cross from the left side by senior defender Anthony Aquadro (Northampton, Mass.). The ball was then redirected by a sliding Yeonas, who hit it off the right post before it spun into the back of the net.

After a scoreless first half which saw the Camels hold a 6-2 advantage in total shots, which included one by junior Liam Noonan (Malibu, Calif.) that forced goalkeeper Max Kral to make a diving save, Swarthmore (11-5-4) got a good look in the 60th minute. However, Bless Tumushabe misfired high. Sophomore Augie Djerdjaj (Mahopac, N.Y.) had a shot glance off the crossbar in the 73rd minute, and four ensuing corner kicks taken by the Camels did not yield any results.

Senior Matt Butera (Westfield, Mass.) delivered a perfectly-placed cross into the box with less than eight minutes left that was intended for Yeonas, but the sophomore missed on his diving attempt to head the ball home. Junior AJ Marcucci (West Chester, Pa.) turned away two shots in the final two minutes of regulation, and the Camels eventually got the golden goal they needed in the extra frame to survive and advance for the third time over the past seven days.

Marcucci picked up his eighth shutout victory of the season by making four saves for Connecticut College, which outshot the Garnet by a 12-8 margin and attempted six of the match's seven corner kicks. Kral suffered the loss after redirecting two shots.

No. 18 Connecticut College (13-3-3) will next face No. 5 Tufts in an NCAA Elite 8 matchup tomorrow afternoon at 3 p.m.